As you may already know, the high level of security of LIVISI SmartHome is made possible, among other things, by the use of strong encryption for communication between the innogy/RWE devices.
This encryption requires that the corresponding devices are integrated using a device key. So far, this device key has been provided via the LIVISI Cloud.
After March 1st, 2024, this will no longer be possible and the procedure will therefore be changed so that every user takes control of the keys for their devices themselves.
What does that mean exactly?
For you, this means that in the future it will no longer be possible to use all control centers and innogy/RWE devices without restrictions.
After March 1st, 2024...
- ...can only be used with classic SHCs that were once registered on the LIVISI Cloud with a user account. In this way you will receive the absolutely required personal certificate. The SHC 2.0 does not need to be registered for this; it receives the personal certificate upon first contact with the LIVISI Cloud.
- ...only those SHCs can be used to include devices that have at least the software version 3.1.1111.0 for the classic SHC and 18.104.22.1688 for the SHC 2.0. A later update via USB stick is unfortunately not possible. We recommend to include at least one innogy/RWE device to test if everything is ok.
- ...only the innogy/RWE devices for which you have the device keys can be connected to the central unit.
From the software version 3.1.1111.0 for the classic SHC and 22.214.171.1248 for the SHC 2.0 you can have the device keys of the integrated innogy/RWE devices saved on a USB stick.
In order to be protected from surprises, please note the following regarding the above restrictions:
- If you pass on or sell innogy/RWE devices to other users after March 1st, 2024, you must provide them with the corresponding device key(s) so that they can also integrate the devices.
- After March 1st, 2024 with innogy/RWE:
- If you take over or buy devices from someone else, ask explicitly for the existence of the device keys beforehand.
- If you take over or buy central units from someone else, ask explicitly for the software version of the SHC beforehand (min. software version 3.1.1111.0 for the classic SHC and 126.96.36.1998 for the SHC 2.0).
- When integrating devices after March 1st, 2024, the device key is searched for via the USB port of the control panel. You must therefore make the relevant device keys available to the central unit via a USB stick.
- Replacement devices:
- Possible replacement central unit should be updated to software version 3.1.1111.0 for the classic SHC and 188.8.131.528 for the SHC 2.0 so that they can be used afterwards. An update via USB stick is not possible. We recommend to include at least one innogy/RWE device to test if everything is ok.
- Possible innogy/RWE replacement devices should be installed in an up-to-date SHC (software version 3.1.1111.0 for the classic SHC and 184.108.40.2068 for the SHC 2.0) to backup the corresponding device keys. Without these keys, no devices can be integrated into the system after March 1, 2024.
- The device keys remain on the SHC even in the event of a factory reset. They are not part of the personal data of the user.
Why like this and not more flexible?
Secure communication is an important feature of LIVISI SmartHome and therefore protecting the device keys is important.
In order to ensure maximum security for your system, we have decided against making the device keys of all devices publicly available - even a small risk is still a risk. Unfortunately, this entails a restriction regarding the central units and innogy/RWE devices that can be used after March 1st, 2024:
The local device keys, i.e. those backed-up via a current central unit, are encrypted and for the integration of the corresponding innogy/RWE devices, these must first be decrypted with a separate key.
This is done securely on the central unit and the necessary decryption key is from software version 3.1.1111.0 for the classic SHC and 220.127.116.118 for the SHC 2.0 securely stored in the TPM of the central unit.
The SHCs can only securely receive the decryption key for storage in the TPM via the LIVISI Cloud and must therefore be updated accordingly before March 1st, 2024.
Central units that have not stored the decryption key in the TPM will no longer be able to operate without restrictions after March 1st. It is not possible to update via USB stick.
Since the device keys can no longer be accessed via the LIVISI Cloud from March 1st, 2024, the keys must first be handed over to the owners of the devices (you). This also happens automatically on all central units from software version 3.1.1111.0 for the classic SHC and 18.104.22.1688 for SHC 2.0 for all integrated devices.
Specifically, as the main user of the SHC, after the update to the software version 3.1.1111.0 for the classic SHC and 22.214.171.1248 for the SHC 2.0 and after each integration of new devices, you will receive an e-mail with the request to back up the device keys of the integrated devices.
The device keys are stored on a USB stick. They are then on the stick in the form of a text file in which the keys of individual devices can be identified via the serial number and to which keys can also be added.
Please be more specific...
The detailed procedure and how-to work with the device keys is described here: Guide to local device keys