What is the "Local SmartHome"?
The Local SmartHome is our way strengthening the resilience and sustainability of the system. Having a local connectivity provides an improved resilience regarding internet-cuts or downtimes of cloud services. Additional it enables you to use the devices as long as you want (or they are alive) which is a small contribution to more sustainability in the SmartHome market.
In order to better understand what we mean by "Local SmartHome", we first would like to share the following definitions with you:
LIVISI SmartHome Core ("Local SmartHome")
This contains all components of LIVISI SmartHome that can be operated completely locally:
- the central unit including the scenarios running (local rule-engine/automations) on it
- an web-based UI that is hosted locally at the central unit: Local App
- a local interface (API) for connection to third-party systems
- the existing bindings2 (e.g. support for innogy/RWE devices)
- local configuration backup/restore on USB3
- local storage of device activity data3
LIVISI SmartHome Services
All components that are not absolutely necessary for the operation of LIVISI SmartHome are summarized by us as "services". This concerns, for example.
- Notifications (SMS, push, etc.)
- Backup / restore of configurations in the backend
- Data storage and evaluations in the backend
- Remote access
- Third party services such as IFTTT, Alexa, Google Home
- LIVISI App (app for mobile devices and our web app at home.livisi.de)
- Mobile app
The LIVISI SmartHome services will be discontinued on March 1, 2024 and will no longer be available afterwards: FAQ - Retirement of the LIVISI SmartHome Services
Now as you have an overview on what Local SH is, you might want to use it: How can I use it?
1 As long as the hardware is "alive"
2 Some bindings use cloud-APIs which might change and thus might become incompatible at some point in time
3 This functionality will be available at a later stage